Hours 18.5 per week, salary £30-32K pro rata, fixed term to May 2025
About SWLEP Ltd
The Swindon and Wiltshire Local Enterprise Partnership (SWLEP) Limited was established in 2012 and is an organisation committed to the sustainable and economic growth of Swindon and Wiltshire. Through partnerships with local and central Government, local businesses, and academia, SWLEP focusses on activities which will drive economic growth and job creation.
SWLEP delivers a range of business support, training and cluster initiatives through funding from a range of government departments, such as the Department for Business and Trade (DBT), the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT) and Department for Education (DfE).
Swindon & Wiltshire Cyber Cluster (SWCC)
SWCC is a community of over 200 individuals who work across cyber and national defence, along with the members of the wider business community who are interested in keeping their organisation secure. The cluster is supported by a steering group of volunteers from industry who provide insight on current trends and provide guidance and support to cluster operations.
SWCC gained formal recognition in 2022 from the UK Cyber Cluster Collaboration (UKC3) network who are funded by DSIT to support the five pillars of the UK’s national cyber strategy by developing ecosystems, supporting skills growth, and growing innovation across the cyber security sector.
Job Description: Community Manager
The community of cyber businesses is growing across Swindon and Wiltshire. Facilitated by SWCC, this community will continue to grow through events, training sessions and sharing of knowledge and best practice. The Community Manager is pivotal to the continued development of the cluster and this community across the region. They will be passionate about the digital and cyber scene in Swindon and Wiltshire and across the wider South West, have a talent for organising events which will inspire, and will push themselves to support the community to grow.
SWCC is based out of the Business Cyber Centre in Chippenham, a home to SMEs and primes working in collaboration with MOD and government focussing on national security and defence of critical national infrastructure. Since its inception in 2022, SWCC has developed strong relationships across academia, government and industry, for which the CM will be responsible for growing and maintaining.
Reporting to: Head of Capital Operations.
Working with: General Manager, Centre Co-ordinator and wider SWLEP team including Marketing, Finance and Business Support staff.
• Oversee the day-to-day running of SWCC, such as management of funding and reporting.
• Account management of cyber and defence businesses to help them grow.
• Coordination of the steering group, arranging regular meetings, keeping minutes and tracking actions.
• Developing a calendar of events, both online and in person at least monthly with a range of topics.
• Management of SWCC social media channels, including LinkedIn.
• Create and manage content for SWCC website, in coordination with the Marketing team.
• Generate sponsorship and other revenue, such as through partnerships with companies engaging with SWCC.
• Support BCC team with operations across the building.
Key Success Factors
• A calendar of events across the funding year, with clear budgeting and marketing plan.
• Growing awareness of the cyber community and growing the membership across the region.
• Regular news articles and member updates written and uploaded to SWCC website and social media channels.
• Excellent working relationships developed with key stakeholders, steering group, and members.
• Generate sponsorship for event revenue and to support SWCC operations.
Person Specification: Community Manager
Essential Knowledge, Qualifications and Training
• Knowledge and experience of creating and hosting events.
• English and Mathematics GCSE Level 5 or above, or equivalent.
• Good general working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Xero or other billing platforms.
• Knowledge of the cyber security and digital community across the Swindon and Wiltshire and wider South West region.
Desirable Knowledge, Qualifications and Training
• Knowledge of data protection requirements (including GDPR).
• Health and Safety qualification.
• First aid qualification.
• Knowledge of UK digital and cyber strategy and policy.
Essential Skills and Experience
• Experience in events and account management.
• Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise own workload within given deadlines.
• Outstanding time-management skills.
• Ability to coordinate multiple events, tasks and responsibilities and remain calm under pressure.
• Ability to communicate courteously and politely with internal and external clients, suppliers and staff.
• Good attention to detail and accuracy.
• Good team player with flexible approach.
• Commitment to own personal and professional development, including learning new skills for the role.
• Commitment to providing good customer service with a drive for continuous improvement.
• Able to deal with work of a confidential nature.
• Experience of working with Audio-Visual (AV) equipment and presentation set-ups including troubleshooting.
• Experience of handling day to day supplier and contractor relationships and obtaining quotes.
• Physical fitness to undertake tasks such as moving tables and chairs in events spaces.
• Be flexible to changing working hours outside of standard office hours to meet the demands of networking events.